A stripped down, surround-sound, electro-improv Messiah for today’s Toronto
Is it possible to become re-sensitized to this ubiquitous musical masterpiece by taking it apart and putting it back together again? Stripping Handel’s music back down to its barest essentials, Electric Messiah enables four singers, accompanied by guitar and electronics, to explore a selection of the work’s most popular movements through the lens of their own unique styles and cultural backgrounds.
Staged in the intimate, cabaret-style underground of Toronto’s iconic Drake Hotel, in collaboration with curator Kyle Brenders, dramaturg Ashlie Corcoran and lighting designer Patrick Lavender, Soundstreams’ Electric Messiah will reconnect you to the music of the holiday season in a way that is surprising, fresh, and above all, FUN.
- Christine Duncan, vocals
- Carla Huhtanen, vocals
- Gabriel Dharmoo, vocals
- Jeremy Dutcher, vocals
- John Gzowski, guitar
- Doug Van Nort, electronics
- Electroacoustic Orchestra of York University
- Venue: Drake Hotel Underground (map & directions)
- Start time: Doors open at 7:30 pm, and the show begins at 8 pm
- Concert duration: approximately one hour
- Amenities: cash bar and $3 coat check will be available
Important information to note:
- The Underground: Electric Messiah takes place in the Underground. Enter through the front door of the Drake Hotel, and proceed straight, to the back. There is a flight of stairs leading down to the venue
- Accessibility: Unfortunately this venue is not wheelchair accessible.
- Electric Messiah is general admission: Seating is first come, first served, and there will be approximately 40 chairs available (of a total capacity of around 115).
- Parking information: (there is a parking lot across the street)
- This venue is 19+ only
Make a Night of It!
Receive a 15% discount on dining at The Drake before the show (food only) with your Electric Messiah ticket.
The Ear Candy Series is supported by: