The Pied Piper legend is just one inspiration for this playful “surround-sound” flute concert, in which the music springs from unexpected directions.
Descended from the oldest of all known instruments, the flute has long been credited with magical powers. Its surprising range of voices include ethereal to edgy, connecting the human, animal, and spirit worlds.
The U.S.A.’s Claire Chase (last featured in The Whisper Opera), France’s Patrick Gallois, Canada’s Robert Aitken and Leslie Newman, and Canadian-American Marina Piccinini are featured. They perform iconic repertoire by Claude Debussy, Philip Glass, Toru Takemitsu, Robert Aitken, André Jolivet and Michael Colgrass, along with a world premiere from Canada’s Anna Höstman.
Pre-Concert Chat – 7:00 PM
Arrive early for a free pre-concert chat with Artistic Director Lawrence Cherney, and artists from the concert.
- Anna Höstman: The Pied Piper, World Premiere*
- Michael Colgrass: Wild Riot of the Shaman’s Dreams
- Claude Debussy: Sonata for Flute, Viola and Harp
- Robert Aitken: Plainsong
- Philip Glass: Piece in the Shape of a Square
- Toru Takemitsu: Toward the Sea
- André Jolivet: Suite en Concert